Maker Frame: App Ideas?
So I’ve been cleaning out my basement of late, and in doing so I’ve uncovered a couple of old unfinished projects: some repairs for one of my MAME cabinets and a project I started to convert an old laptop into a digital photo frame/display device.
Well, over the weekend I completed the MAME cab repairs and now I’m finishing up the woodworking portion of the digital display and I’m ruminating over what types of applications I want to use / develop for using the device. Here’s the basic specs, etc.:
P3 700 MHz, 128M ram, 40G hard-drive, 14” screen, wireless network (802.11b). I disassembled the screen and then rotated it 180° to allow the laptop to close flat with the screen exposed (similar to the way some tablet PCs are designed), and then the whole thing is mounted inside a wooden enclosure. The base enclosure is then surrounded by a custom built pine frame (still trying to decide whether to stain it or simply to seal it au-natural. There is also a bit of custom hardware which allows the machine to be turned on from the back of the frame.
Now here’s the question:
I can easily use this to display photos, but I’m also looking for other kinds of applications which would work well in a “display-only” mode (noting that while this is a laptop inside, I don’t intend to have an input device connected under most circumstances – and it doesn’t have a touchscreen ). A few ideas I’m already kicking around:
- Photo slideshows (duh), fed from online sources such as Flickr, Spaces, etc.
- Photo and text slideshows fed by Twitter feeds (specific user, following specific user(s), hashtags, etc.)
- Facebook status updates, feeds, photo galleries, etc.
- Random or targeted grabs and navigation of PhotoSynth collections
- Xbox Live gamer tags, stats, etc.
- Zune tag, recent plays or artist/album/song info or artwork
- Messenger status alerts
What else? I’m looking for cool “live” online kinda app ideas as I start to code for this new device…