Taste Experiment: Split Pea Soup with Ham
This one is a variation of the Kickin’ Split Pea Soup, using ham instead of sausage plus more spice.
- 1 lb dried peas
- 1 lb boneless honey ham
- 1/4 white onion
- 10-15 baby carrots
- 8 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp savory
- 1 Tbsp sage
- 1 tsp ground cayenne red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- Dice onion, carrots, and garlic.
- Cut ham into 1/2″ cubes.
- Rinse and sort through peas to make sure they are clean and free of rocks, etc.
- Bring 8 cups water just to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add all ingredients.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.