Taste Experiment: Green Chile Chicken Soup
Just recently returned from New Mexico and was able to stock on Hatch green chile on the way out of town. On the way home tonight I knew I needed to get groceries for dinner and it hit me: Green Chile Chicken Soup!
This is attempt #1.
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 potato
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups chopped, roasted hot Hatch green chile
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Grill the chicken breast(s) until done, and set aside to cool.
- Chop onion and potato fine.
- Peel and press garlic.
- Cut cooled chicken breast(s) into small pieces.
- In a large pot, melt butter and add flour, whipping to a smooth roux. Immediately add milk and broth to roux, mixing until smooth. Bring base just to a boil and add garlic, potato, onion, green chile, and chicken.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with your favorite tortillas or tortilla chips. Can be topped with a dollop of sour cream and/or finely grated cheddar cheese.
Footnote: This really requires real Hatch green chile – don’t make it with anything else!